Check this page regularly for information on fixing things on your J24, some of our best minds will be able to offer ideas, tips and tricks on things you should and should not do.
What to do? How do I fix it?
Hi everyone, if you wish me to discuss any topics please ask.
I understand somebody trashed a rudder and it needs to be repaired.
The rudders are Balsa core so repairing them is quite easy.
1. Grind out the damaged section to bare balsa.
2. Identify the Damaged core
3. Route out or grind out the damaged section – be careful not to go through to the other side of the rudder as this is used as a backing plate.
4. Source some balsa from Nupol composites (formerly Huntsman)
5. Glue the balsa, shape to profile.
6. Layup glass work and top of with a layer of peel ply. Peel Ply gives you a nice flat finish.
7. Sand the Glass with 80 grid
8 Should not need any filler, if filler is required fill and sand
10. You can spray flow-coat :- match colour and Thin Mixture with acetone. approx 50%
11. Sand the top coat with 400, 600, and 800 wet and dry.
12. Buff to a mirror finish
Job done !!!!